Marlborough area pubs in the news: Queen's Head changes hands - The Barge for sale again - Axford's Red Lion for sale - & more
Marlborough.news has been reporting the comings and goings in the ownership - and sometimes the viability - of some of the pubs in the Marlborough area. 2018 seems to have started with a bundle of pubs seeking new ownership or landlords.
The end of January brings the bills from spending on festive fun, food and gifts. This is the serious outcome, the downside of Christmas - and Citizens Advice Wiltshire is preparing for what's expected to be their busiest day of the year as people seek help with their debts: January 31.
Vale of Pewsey archaeology: six thousand year old decoration on chalk blocks from the Cat's Brain dig
These two blocks of chalk (photo above) were found buried in a very, very old posthole near Marden, in the Vale of Pewsey. But wait - these are really amazing blocks of chalk. They are decorated. They give us a privileged - if somewhat tantalising - glimpse into the lives of our ancestors of long ago - six thousand years ago.
Pluses and minuses: what did 2017 do for Marlborough - from shops to housing and, of course, the school?
2017 has seen some pretty positive developments for Marlborough. Foremost was the long awaited primary school opened in a fine new building - Marlborough St Mary's Primary combining St Mary's Infants and St Peter's Junior schools.
Marlborough.news asked a random list of people among the many who have helped us in the past year, for their choice of 2017 book, film, television or radio programme. We asked for a hundred words from each of them - it's an intriguing and varied list:
More Articles ...
- BREXIT: there are issues specific to people in our area that will have to be addressed - and that process does need watching
- Read all about it! 1772 Marlborough Journal given for Merchant's House Museum - an election, scandals, crimes, readers' letters
- Is Wiltshire Council helping with Marlborough's traffic and parking problems?
- Following in the footsteps of a 1920s expedition to the Arctic
- As the three year Pewsey Vale investigation of Neolithic Marden ends - the Cat's Brain site still holds many secrets
- Marlborough’s historic mill wheels moved closer to home
- Drive electric! - all you need are some solar panels and a three-pin plug
- Matt Prior - Marlborough Downs' "Mr Tree Sparrow" - keeps tabs on another new generation of chicks
- Vanessa Lafaye's new novel tells of a woman's struggle against violent racism - Vanessa too has a major struggle to confront
- Read all about it! Fallout from a nuclear bomb attack on London - in a debut novel
- Aldbourne's Scarecrow Trail returns again - for a third year
- Fairy fun comes to Pewsey
- A varied selection of Easter Weekend events for those who like all kinds of egg hunts - and other entertainments
- Elliot Lassiter - future Triathalon star awarded Wiltshire Council Grant
- A Shepherds Hut - a traditional local and desirable addition to any garden
- Friends set up business recording precious life memories
- Kids let Let It Go go as songs from the movies come to the stage
- The last working windmill in Wessex is working again
- Walking the police puppy: dog unit looks for volunteers to help with young canine recruits
- What is it like being homeless in Marlborough?
- Document offers insight into life in Marlborough
- Local people help chose new priorities for Area Board
- Democracy returns to The Gambia: new President meets Marlborough link delegation
- Sparks fly as repair work starts on Crofton’s boiler
- Swindon press headline: "Housing developers to help fund social projects" - that's how Section 106 should work
- Brownies become official water quality testers on the River Kennet
- Mayor pays tribute to carers at launch of £25,000 appeal
- Marlborough’s hidden poverty problem to be discussed by Area Board
- Marlborough's loss of affordable housing money was just the edge of a multi-million pound hole in housing policy
- Need a kitchen knife that's sharp and balanced just for you? Savernake Knives will make it for you