News dot2left cropped500pxt
  • IMG 9097-2
  • Hares 017cropped
  • TdB-Pewsey 044
  • Town-Hall-2011-05-03 08-2
  • MYFC 005
  • Landscape
  • Mop-Fair---10-10-09------08
  • Torch-2012-05-23 093-
  • D4S9273
  • Big-Bull
  • Marlborough-2013-04-18 St Peters-2
  • Civic Selfie1
  • Silbury-Sunset---10-06-08-----07-2
  • IMG 8472-2
  • 4MI-2013-11-28 030
  • Camilla-2012-10-19 152
  • Xmas-Lights-2011-11-24 10
  • Duke-of-Kent 086
  • Bluebells-in-West-Woods-10-05-09------30
  • Sunset2
  • Jazz Fest Sat 572
  • D812668
  • ARK Manton -2012-01-14 49-
  • Christmas-Lights 15-11-20 097
  • D4S0472


This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Picture perfect and perfectly framed: the Pewsey firm that framed the Queen's birthday portrait

Phillip Elletson in the Pewsey workshopPhillip Elletson in the Pewsey workshopPR Elletson of Pewsey played an important role in the full-length portrait of Her Majesty the Queen commissioned from the artist Nicky Philipps by the Royal Company of Archers to mark Her Majesty's ninetieth birthday.

The Royal Company of Archers are the Queen's Bodyguard in Scotland.  The portrait will hang in the dining room at Archers' Hall in Edinburgh.   The Queen is pictured wearing the robes of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle and standing at the top of the Archers' Hall staircase.

Katie Kerr went to visit the Pewsey workshop.  

It was a real pleasure to meet Phillip Elletson, founder of PR Elletson bespoke frame makers, gilders and restorers based in a large workshop in Pewsey.  I was shown round by Mr Elletson and the Office Manager and Secretary, Lindsey Wood.

Phillip Elletson and his team of talented craftsmen have recently completed work on the frame for Nicky Phillips’s portrait of the Queen for Her Majesty’s 90th birthday.

Copyright: Nicola Jane (Nicky) Philipps - Photo by Jo Hanley PhotographyCopyright: Nicola Jane (Nicky) Philipps - Photo by Jo Hanley PhotographyThe frame for the full-length portrait measures an incredible 109 inches x 73 inches.

An early stage in making the frameAn early stage in making the frameThe frame itself is made from bare wood using an 18th century composition technique. This involves making carved moulds to create intricate patterns and shapes that can be conveniently attached to the base frame.

The finished wooden frame is then gilded in gold-leaf to create a dramatic and unique impression. Along the inside edge runs an intricate lattice pattern and round the outer frame there is a combination of elegant pearls and delicate leaves inspired by the portrait itself.

Overall it makes for a very remarkable creation. The frame for this royal birthday portrait took three weeks to construct with a team of six people working on it.

“There is definitely a degree of pressure when working on such high profile projects,” Phillip admitted, “but overall it is such an honour, everyone is very proud to have been involved”.

The Queen herself commented on the frame, describing it as “remarkable”. It is not often that a picture frame even comes close to overshadowing its painting.

Detail of the finished frameDetail of the finished frame“This has got to be one of our biggest achievements,” Phillip told me.  However the firm's reputation for craftsmanship has, it seems, made them frame makers to the famous.

PR Elletson have also framed paintings for Spencer House in London, Prince Andrew, The Duke Of Edinburgh, Hugh Bonneville, Fiona Bruce and they have even made three frames for the multi award winning film The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Pewsey’s PR Elletson has also been featured several times on BBC's The One Show and Sky Arts. They framed the portrait of Wolf Hall author Hilary Mantel by Nick Lord (named artist of the year by Sky Arts) and also the people’s portrait as featured on the One Show.

“We’ve come a long way from the old work shed in 1978,” laughed Phillip who has been managing the company for 35 years.

Phillip Elletson also emphasised that they do not just do high profile and large scale projects. Anyone can have anything framed no matter how big or how small. With a variety of sizes and authentic templates available, photographs and paintings can be framed or mounted.

Probably not too many people know that Pewsey is home to such a successful company whose craftsmen are available to the general public - and are not just reserved for Her Majesty the Queen!

Print Email

The Battle of the Somme: First Battalion Wiltshire Regiment’s attack on the Leipzig Redoubt

The Battle of the Somme:  Exactly a hundred years ago men of the First Battalion of the Wiltshire Regiment were involved in attacks on the German defensive position known as the Leipzig Redoubt - this stood on the western side of the Leipzig Salient.  The Salient was attacked on the first day of the battle - July 1 - and fighting continued as fresh attempts were made to capture the Redoubt. 

This contemporary report on the Wiltshires' - and Worcesters'  - part in the fighting was signed by Lieutenant Colonel R F Legge of the Leinster Regiment - a Staff Officer with the 25th Division:

"The GOC [General Officer Commanding] wishes to congratulate the Wiltshire and the Worcestershire Regiments on their gallant behaviour during the operations which took place between the 6th and 8th July.

During this period the first Battalion Wilts Regiment successfully carried out two attacks, repelled several sustained and determined counter-attacks on two consecutive nights and firmly held the position won under an intense bombardment which lasted over four hours. He greatly regrets the death of Lieut. Colonel W S Brown, who was killed on the 6th of July whilst conducting the first attack, the success of which was greatly due to the careful preliminary arrangements made by him.

The command of the Battalion then passed to Captain S S Ogilvie, under whom on the night of the 6th and 7th the Battalion successfully repelled all enemy counter attacks. There Lieut. R J O Palmer (wounded) and C S M Lester (killed) behaved with the greatest gallantry.

On the 7th July Captain Ogilvie sent Captain Russell to take command of the advanced trenches and the fact that all enemy attacks throughout the day proved a failure was due greatly to the coolness and resourcefulness of this Officer.

Counter-attacks during the night 7th and 8th were easily repulsed with heavy enemy losses. At 6.30 on the 8th July, the second attack was organised and was launched about 8.30 under the command of Lieutenant Gooden (killed).

The moment the men of the Wilts appeared over the parapet they were met by an overwhelming fire from Machine Guns and Rifles, but despite their many casualties, they pressed on and at 9.30 the trench which was the objective had been successfully captured and consolidated.

This performance was all the more creditable owing to the fact that the weather conditions were bad, the ground was much cut up by shell fire and the troops fatigued by the strains they had gone through in the previous thirty six hours.

As the attacking troops reached the enemy's trench the Germans were seen to bolt down the communication trenches, large numbers were killed, and twenty three prisoners were taken.

It was not possible to penetrate further down the enemy's communication trenches, owing to the strongly made blocks and barricades previously erected. Lieutenant Clegg since wounded, the only Officer left, showed conspicuous ability in conducting the consolidation of the captured trench. This trench sustained a very heavy bombardment afterwards and though the cover was indifferent, due to the parapets being shattered by shell fire, the position was held with great determination.

The moment was now critical and the Wilts were reinforced by 2 Companies of the 3rd Worcesters which had been placed at the disposal of OC [Officer Commanding] Wilts. These Companies behaved with the greatest gallantry. They brought up plenty of ammunition and a large supply of bombs and with their assistance all enemy's attempts and counter-attacks were easily repulsed.

The work performed by Lieutenant Harrison with the Trench Mortar Battery was most effective during the 30 seconds intense bombardment proceeding the attack. His guns fired no fewer than 100 rounds with greatest accuracy, putting out of action an enemy Machine Gun. These successes could not have been obtained without the very magnificent support given by the artillery Group under Lieutenant Cotton RFA.

But above all they could not have been obtained except for the heroic courage and stamina and devotion to duties of the Officers and NCOs men of the Wilts and 3rd Worcesters so many of them have earned undying honour by giving their lives in their Country's Cause.

(signed) R F Legge, Lieut. Colonel. 25th Division."

Print Email

Red Wheel plaque unveiled at historic pumping station

Peter Stone and Phil HardingPeter Stone and Phil HardingThe importance of Crofton Beam Engines in the story of the nation’s industrial past was celebrated on Saturday with the unveiling of a Red Wheel plaque from the Transport Trust.

The plaque – mounted on the wall of the boiler house – was unveiled by Peter Stone, of the Transport Trust, aided by archaeologist Phil Harding of TV’s Time Team.

The red wheel scheme – much like its blue plaque cousin – aims to promote significant heritage sites from Britain’s transport history. Launched in 2009, there are now more than 80 locations with a red wheel plaque.

It read: “Crofton Pumping Station 1807 House the oldest beam engine in the world able to fulfil its original role – pumping water to the summit of the Kennet and Avon Canal.”

Peter Turvey, chairman of the Crofton Branch of the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust, said: “Crofton Pumping Station is one of the most important industrial revolution sites in the country.

“Built to supply water to the summit level of the Kennet & Avon Canal, the pumping station is a unique working survivor of the technology which enabled British engineers to drain deep mines, supply water to canals and towns, and build docks and harbours throughout the world.

“For nearly 50 years the Crofton Beam Engines have been kept in working order by teams of dedicated volunteers and the skills needed to run it passed on to new generations. Long may it continue.”

Print Email

Archaeologists back in the Vale of Pewsey: what might follow the boy with the amber necklace?

Bronze Age burial of teenage boyBronze Age burial of teenage boyThe boy with the amber necklace had lain under Pewsey Vale soil for thousands of years - until he was discovered last summer by archaeologists from Reading University.   Unearthing the teenager's Bronze Age burial place at the Wilsford henge was just one of the main achievements of their dig last year.

On Monday (June 27), Dr Jim Leary and his team start a major new, month-long dig in the Vale of Pewsey to unearth more about the Neolithic people who lived there 4,500 years ago.  And they hope to make many more significant finds.

Previous excavations at Marden uncovered an extraordinarily well-preserved Neolithic building surface, thought to be the base for a ceremonial ‘sweat lodge’, and some fine Stone Age artefacts, including a long-tailed flint arrowhead.  And last year's discovery at Wilsford of the Bronze Age burial has encouraged hopes for further major results from the digs.

This year the Reading team will be investigating previously unexplored parts of both Marden and Wilsford henges.   These excavations will mark the second year of a three-year project led by the University of Reading, in collaboration with Historic England, the Arts and Humanities Research Council and Wiltshire Museum.

Dr Jim Leary explaining the 2015 dig to visitorsDr Jim Leary explaining the 2015 dig to visitorsDr Jim Leary, from Reading University’s Department of Archaeology and Director of its Archaeology Field School, believes their work has already transformed knowledge about the Vale of Pewsey in prehistory:  “Relatively few archaeological digs have taken place here, particularly compared to the famous sites of Avebury and Stonehenge to the north and south, but it is likely to have been the heartland to the prehistoric communities living in this internationally important landscape."

“Marden henge is directly in between these two more famous monuments, and may well be the key to understanding them both.”

Built around 2400 BC, Marden is the largest henge in the country and one of Britain’s most important prehistoric monuments – though only a barely visible hump shows where the henge and its mound once stood.

The dig will not only focus on Neolithic archaeology, but use modern scientific methods to investigate the role of the Vale’s environment such as the River Avon on settlements in prehistoric, Roman, medieval and more recent periods.

The excavation is part of the Reading University's Archaeology Field School academic work with archaeology students from Reading and a global team of volunteers excavating within Marden henge for four weeks - from June 27 to July 23.

Visitors are welcome to see the excavation in progress between 10am and 5pm every day except Fridays.   Group visits must book in advance.  There will also be a chance for the public to visit the site at the Open Day on Saturday, July 16. 

The Field School website has all the details.

The Wiltshire Museum in Devizes has a special display featuring finds from Marden Henge, including a remarkable Neolithic flint arrowhead that was discovered last year. The Museum is running special tours including a Director’s tour of the Museum and a visit to the site. Find out more at their website.


Print Email

All the fun of the farm, at Open Farm Sunday

Waiting for a tractor ride on Open Farm SundayWaiting for a tractor ride on Open Farm SundayMarlborough Downs farmers threw open their five bar gates yesterday (Sunday) to allow hundreds of people a peek behind the scenes at a working farm.

There was a chance for children and adults to get close-up and personal with Hampshire Cross pigs, a couple of the 85 Aberdeen Angus beef cattle that graze the water meadows alongside the River Kennet, and some of the 140 Wiltshire Horn sheep, as well as an assortment of ducks, geese and chickens.

But the day was about more than commercial farming. The host, the 1,000 acre Manor Farm at Avebury Trusloe, is one of a group of farms that make up the Marlborough Downs Nature Enhancement Partnership.

Together, over a total of 25,000 acres, the Partnership farmers have pledged to encourage diversity and protect the area’s rare wildlife.

On the ever-popular tractor rides, visitors were told how the landscape around Windmill Hill was being managed to encourage grey partridges and corn buntings.

The entire farm lies within the Avebury World Heritage Site, and farmers told how they had to take care ploughing around ancient monuments, especially where an avenue of buried standing stones lie just inches from the surface of the ground.

Visitors also discovered how computer and satellite technology was helping farmers to effectively manage the soil by varying levels of chemicals during crop spraying and fertilising.

Three quarters of the farm is given over to the production of crops. Oilseed rape is harvested to fry the chips in burger restaurants, barley is used by Coors to brew their beer, and wheat is bought by Warburtons to make bread.

Print Email

Carnage: The Battle of the Somme centenary - men from colleges and towns like Marlborough’s killed in a costly lesson on modern warfare

Sir Edwin's Lutyens' 'Monument to the Missing of the Somme' at ThiepvalSir Edwin's Lutyens' 'Monument to the Missing of the Somme' at ThiepvalThe Battle of the Somme began early in the morning of 1 July 1916. It was an Anglo-French campaign fought over four and half months through the summer and autumn of 1916 across a front which stretched some forty-five kilometres from north to south.

During the course of that campaign, British and French armies advanced twelve kilometres at the point of their greatest gain, but still failed to capture either of their two target towns, Bapaume and Peronne.

Casualties (dead, wounded, missing, captured) amounted to about 420,000 for the British, 200,000 for the French, and 580,000 for the Germans.

Those bare statistics contain some figures of local interest. For example, six of the 42 members of St Peter's Parish in Marlborough who died in the war were killed on the Somme.

The numbers from Marlborough College are even more heart-breaking: twenty former members of the College died on the first day alone, and another ninety before the fighting in that part of France was over.

There was not a community in the country left untouched by this Battle.

If the battle failed to achieve the much-heralded "break-through", it did succeed in one of its objectives, namely saving the French at Verdun. During the course of the following winter the Germans withdrew to the Hindenburg Line, surrendering five times as much territory as the British and French armies had won the previous year, and adopting an essentially defensive strategy until the spring of 1918.

The Lutyens monument, which sits astride the Thiepval Ridge at a point where the British took three months to advance less than half a mile, commemorates the 72,000 missing of the Somme, those who have no known grave. Ninety per cent of those men died between July and November 1916.

Stone marking Devonshire Trench: buried there are 163 men killed on 1 July 2016 during their attack on Mametz villageStone marking Devonshire Trench: buried there are 163 men killed on 1 July 2016 during their attack on Mametz villageIt is an imposing memorial whose "precise geometry and intellectual imagination subverts and elevates the simple form of the triumphal arch into a meditation on war and loss". Guarded by redoubts - fortress-like entrenchments on the crest of the ridge - thousands of British troops died in the course of wresting Thiepval village from German control.

Further north, other villages made equally impregnable by the steep slopes of the River Ancre's valley, likewise blocked the advance of the British forces.  One village only falling in November and another remaining in German hands after the battle was over.

How the Allied line advanced in the direction of Bapaume (click to enlarge)How the Allied line advanced in the direction of Bapaume (click to enlarge)What success was achieved on this part of the front came largely as a result of the threat to the German defenders of being outflanked by the eventual fall of the village of Pozieres on the Albert-Bapaume road, the capture of Mouquet Farm, and the partial successes of the battle of Flers-Courcelette in late September.

Prior to this it had taken the Australians forty-five days and nineteen separate assaults at a cost of over 27,000 casualties to capture Pozieres which dominated the central part of the ridge against which the British soldiers had to advance across the entire length of their part of the front line from their starting point on July 1.

Despite blowing mines to dislodge the Germans from their strong defensive positions at La Boiselle, progress up both Sausage and Mash valleys either side of the road to Pozieres was slow and costly. Charles Edmonds in A Subaltern's War described the scene at the village of Ovillers just two weeks after the first attack went in: "Among the wire lay rows of khaki figures as they had fallen to the machine guns on the crest, thick as sleepers in Green Park on summer Sunday evenings."

The aftermath of war: the remains of Delville WoodThe aftermath of war: the remains of Delville WoodFurther south and east where the slopes were less steep and the German defences weaker, there had been initial success against other villages, but further progress in this sector was hindered by large thick concentrations of trees - Mametz Wood, Delville Wood and High Wood - where it proved almost impossible to break the German stranglehold on the surrounding land.

At Mametz the 38 (Welsh) Division suffered 4,000 killed or wounded in the course of just six days.  In a similar period of time, three quarters of the South African troops who tried to capture Delville Wood became casualties.  And High Wood survived for over six weeks in German hands despite persistent but limited attacks which feature in Robert Graves' Goodbye to All That.

Beyond Maricourt and Guillemont either side of the River Somme the French were having greater success, thanks to the greater effectiveness of their artillery bombardment, the relative weakness of the German opposition, and the strength, skill and co-ordination of their infantry attacks.

They were, however, somewhat distracted by events at Verdun, and when the Germans brought up additional troops from that battle the French advance slowed. The village of Rancourt, one of the many such places devastated during French offensive and German defensive operations, is now an important site of remembrance, with its vast military cemetery, containing the graves of 8,566 Frenchmen.

Railway Hollow Cemetery with the graves of 107 Commonwealth soldiers (44 of them unidentified) killed in the battle - and two French war gravesRailway Hollow Cemetery with the graves of 107 Commonwealth soldiers (44 of them unidentified) killed in the battle - and two French war gravesThe Battle of the Somme began on a glorious summer day - July 1, 1916 - when in the short break between the lifting of the artillery bombardment and the infantry advance at 7.30am, soldiers reported hearing the skylarks singing - they still do in the poppy-strewn fields where the cemeteries mark out the line that was no-man's land one hundred years ago.

The Battle ended in the dreariness and dampness of a very soggy October and November when those same fields had been reduced to muddy quagmires, when the trees had been smashed to stumps and the villages crushed to piles of rubble.

In popular mythology the Battle encapsulates all that is seen to have been wrong with that war, indeed many wars - pointless but heroic sacrifice under the dubious leadership of at best distant, and at worst incompetent, commanders - the epitome of "lions led by donkeys".

In truth it was the point at which armies on both sides learnt the very painful lessons of this new form of industrial warfare, and began to devise the necessary strategies and tactics both to pursue it and to combat it.

[Photos courtesy of David du Croz - with thanks. Click on photos to enlarge them.]

Print Email

St Peter's Church flies some special flags - and you can climb to the foot of the flagstaff for an amazing view

A new Marlborough tradition has been born at St Peter's Church: they mark thirty national days and anniversaries of relevant events each year by flying the appropriate flag, standard or arms.  This tradition began some years after the Church was declared redundant in 1974.  A Trust now runs the Church on a 99-year lease from the Diocese of Salisbury.

St Peter's 'flag days' vary from the day Thomas Wolsey was ordained in this church (10 March 1498) to the ten days of the Battle of Britain and back to the day King John granted Marlborough its Charter (20 June 1204.)  As people often ask why an unfamiliar flag is flying over St Peter's, we are publishing the full list below.

They also fly flags to mark specific anniversaries.  On Bank Holiday Monday (May 30) the White Ensign was flying to mark the day HMS Marlborough was adopted by the town - one of the regular days.  This year the Ensign is staying aloft for two more days to mark the hundredth anniversary of the important First World War naval engagement, the Battle of Jutland - in which the battleship HMS Marlborough played a significant role.

Some of the these flags and standards are regular ones you can buy, but many of the flags flown over St Peter's are so esoteric that they are specially made - by Marlborough resident, former ceremonial officer and embroiderer David Sherratt.  He also made the new banners in the Church.

A specially designed 1914-1918 War remembrance flag - designed by David Sherratt - is being flown to mark the hundredth anniversary of days on which individual Parishoners were killed during that war.    

Major York with the flag of the Shakepeare Family Arms Major York with the flag of the Shakepeare Family Arms Another example of David Sherratt's work is the Shakespeare Family Arms.  This is flown on May 3 to mark Shakespeare's birthday (1564). 

This is often celebrated on April 23 - which is inconvenient for as it conflicts with St George's Day - and that day certainly needs a flag.  However, by using the Gregorian calendar, which was introduced during Shakespeare's lifetime, his birthday slides neatly forward to May 3.

The man who looks after the flags and often raises and lowers them, is Major Jeremy York, St Peter's Constable of the Tower.  He also organises - and often conducts - the tours of the church tower.  Some 1,500 a year make the climb raising about £2,000 towards the Church's upkeep.  

It is a fairly cramped climb up 137 steps to the top, but it is well worth it for the history you pass on the way up and the amazing views from the top.

1966: the bigger bells were removed from the Tower 1966: the bigger bells were removed from the Tower The surviving bellThe surviving bell The clock - still punctual after all those yearsThe clock - still punctual after all those years John Bayly was here John Bayly was here

Even on a dull Bank Holiday Monday, once you are 100 feet above street level the views of the town and its surroundings are a revelation.  You certainly get a unique view of the Marlborough Mound.

This Mound is hidden away in Marlborough College grounds and has only recently been proved to date from the same era as Neolithic Silbury Hill.  Later it was used by the Normans to raise the castle's keep above the homes of the hoi polloi.  And later still, the stone from the castle was used to build St Peter's Church.

Did you know the High Street curls so much?Did you know the High Street curls so much?   View from St Peter's Tower of the Marlborough Mound [Click on images to enlarge them]View from St Peter's Tower of the Marlborough Mound [Click on images to enlarge them]

As you climb the tower you pass through The Priests's Room (where the flags are stored), the ringing chamber (from which they used to ring the bells), the clock room (with its working clock), the belfry (now with just one bell) and so to the tower roof itself.

At one point you can see the signature of John Bayly - once of the Merchants House - inscribed into the wall.  Other graffiti are more recent and not so interesting!

The church's bells were removed in 1966 because their great weight was damaging the tower.  Only the smaller Sanctus or curfew bell remains - it was cast in 1741.  It now provides the chimes for the clock.

The clock was made by a Shropshire company in the very early years of the twentieth century.  It is regularly serviced by an expert who says it will not need a major overhaul for another 150 years.

It is known that a church on the site was dedicated to St Peter in 1223.  It was rebuilt in about 1460 - taking some of its stone from the castle.  In the later sixteenth century the dedication was changed to 'St Peter and St Paul' - and although the Trust bears both saints' names, it is now known once again as St Peter's Church

Tours of the tower are available most Saturdays and Bank Holidays between Easter and early October, and are possible at other times by appointment via the St Peter's website. St Peter's The charge (at the time of writing) is £2 for adults and £1 for accompanies children.  And once down again, there is a very good café in the Church serving good pick-you-up coffee - and very good cake.

St Peter's Church schedule of regular flag raisings through the year:

26 January        Australia Day                          Australian national flag

5 February        Waitangi Day                           New Zealand national

6 February        Accession of HM The Queen   Union flag

March (varies)   Commonwealth Day                Union flag

1 March             St David's Day                         Welsh national flag

10 March         Ordination of Thomas Wolsey
                           (1498 at St Peter's Church)     Wolsey's Arms

17 March          St Patrick's Day                        St Patrick saltire

21 April             Birthday of HM The Queen (1926) Union flag

23 April             St George's Day                        Flag of St George

3 May              Birthday of William
                                Shakespeare (1564)          Shakespeare family arms

19 May        Marlborough Charter Day -
                              Queen Elizabeth I (1576)    Royal arms of Elizabeth I

25 May         Wessex Day                                 Flag of Wessex

30 May         HMS Marlborough adopted by   Union flag or
                                               the Town                White Ensign

2 June          HM the Queen's Coronation (1953) Union flag

June (varies)Official birthday of HM the Queen  Union flag

15 June        Sealing of Magna Carta                  Royal standard of King John

20 June        Marlborough Charter Day - King     Royal Standard of
                                               John (1204)                King John

June (varies) Armed Forces Day                         Union flag

29 June        St Peter's Day                                 Flag of St Peter

1 July           Dominion Day                                Canadian national flag

4 July           USA Independence day                Stars and stripes

3 September Merchant Navy Day                      Red Ensign

6-15 September Battle of Britain                        RAF Association Standard

21 October        Trafalgar Day (1805)                 Union flag or White Ensign    

25 October         St Crispin's Day (Battle of
                                        Agincourt - 1415)         Flag of St George

26 October         Death of King Alfred the
                                             Great (899)             Flag of Wessex

November (varies)Remembrance Sunday          Union flag

11 November         Armistice Day (1918)             Union flag

29 November        Death of Cardinal Wolsey (1530)  Wolsey's Arms

30 November         St Andrew's Day                     St Andrew Saltire

(St Peter's flag is also flown on days associated with the Trust that looks after the church.)

Print Email

More Articles ...

  • Duke-of-Kent 086
  • Town-Hall-2011-05-03 08-2
  • IMG 8472-2
  • Big-Bull
  • Christmas-Lights 15-11-20 097
  • Civic Selfie1
  • Sunset2
  • Landscape
  • Camilla-2012-10-19 152
  • Hares 017cropped
  • Jazz Fest Sat 572
  • ARK Manton -2012-01-14 49-
  • D812668
  • IMG 9097-2
  • D4S9273
  • Mop-Fair---10-10-09------08
  • D4S0472
  • Torch-2012-05-23 093-
  • Silbury-Sunset---10-06-08-----07-2
  • TdB-Pewsey 044
  • 4MI-2013-11-28 030
  • MYFC 005
  • Bluebells-in-West-Woods-10-05-09------30
  • Marlborough-2013-04-18 St Peters-2
  • Xmas-Lights-2011-11-24 10