Blocked beds - also known as 'delayed transfers of care' (DTOCS for short) - cost the NHS dearly and cause longer queues
Health & NHS
It is forecast to be 'fairly uncontroversial', but the Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP) for the area that includes Wiltshire dominated the AGM of the Wiltshire Clinical Commissioning Group in Salisbury on Tuesday (November 22.)
A neighbouring Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP) area - or 'footprint' - has declared its intention to cut its workforce costs by £34,200,000.
The NHS is all things to most people. It has been called a super tanker (slow to turn around), Britain's answer to Americans' 'motherhood and apple pie', an organisation so big it can be seen from space (like the Great Wall of China, but much more useful), the Daily Mail'sfavourite
Thursday morning (September 1) and GWH's Academy, down in the hospital's extensive basement, is full of staff from many departments and members of the board. They were all listening to an inspiring talk on patient safety - the start of a day-long Speak Out on Safety event.
As Marlborough.News has been reporting - at some length, we're afraid - the Sustainability and Transformation Plans (STPs) will almost certainly have
The secrecy surrounding attempts to re-fashion NHS services - and keep them within the government's tight funding limits - has suddenly become a major issue of media interest - and of public interest as well.
- The shape of things to come? Virgin Care named as preferred bidder for Bath's community health care
- The NHS crisis: short of nurses and short of money - how will costs be reduced?
- As Jeremy Hunt stays as Health Secretary, the NHS gets a dose of reality
- Changing of the guard for Wiltshire's NHS - just as Brexit poses new problems for health services
- Charity amidst the alien corn
- The NHS crisis: controversial changes may be coming to Wiltshire's health services - sooner or later?
- The little machine that's helping doctors tell when antibiotics are NOT needed
- Great Western Hospital asks for support as its emergency department fills up again
- The NHS is being reorganised - this time quietly and without bothering our sovereign Parliament
- How a patients group has surveyed views on Marlborough's doctors and are helping the practice
- Hotkidz Clinic: pilot scheme for out of hours care of unwell children gets thumbs up
- When winter comes can pressure on the NHS be far behind - except it's now a government secret
- Will the cap fit? GWH faces up to the squeeze of recruitment versus capped agency costs
- Has the NHS' financial crisis been caused by reduced funding levels over the last five years or by policies?
- Friends of Savernake Hospital get a preview of the nearly completed Prospect Hospice outpatient centre
- Has August - once the silly season for news - become the scary season for news about the NHS?
- ANALYSIS: Is the NHS on course for privatisation? There are a few bales of straw in the wind
- Walking in the countryside this summer? Watch out there may be ticks about
- Will the Better Care Fund produce better care? Or is it more of a slogan putting a little shine on depleted and struggling social care systems?
- Doctor's message to NHS England: 'What the hell are you doing about creating the workforce?’
- THE NHS RECRUITMENT GAP: a special investigation by Marlborough News Online - Part Three: Watch out - there are statistics about
- THE NHS RECRUITMENT GAP: a special investigation by Marlborough News Online - Part Two: the government's pledge on extra health visitors
- THE NHS RECRUITMENT GAP: a special investigation - Part One: Recruiting at Great Western Hospital is not just about bringing nurses from overseas
- What is a Falls Clinic? The story behind the valued grant from Marlborough's Friends of Savernake Hospital
- What will George Osborne's £2billion NHS boost mean for Wiltshire - will it fill next year's budget gaps?
- It might be a tricky journey: Wiltshire CCG sets out to tender a £43 million a year contract now held by GWH
- Critical dementia care: who’s deciding Wiltshire’s health policy? Is it you? Or is it local politicians?
- Public gets first look at Wiltshire’s new Air Ambulance
- Better Care Fund for Wiltshire: the costs, the rewards and the risks
- The NHS and privatisation: now GP practices will be opened up to private providers