Lack of access rights - File '/images/images/Health/NHS_RED_3_LOGO_450_.jpg'
Health & NHS
Winter is coming. The older amongst us are queuing up for flu jabs and just about everyone you meet who works in health and social care is terrified that this will be the winter when the NHS and council care services are finally - and dangerously - overwhelmed.
NHS community care moves into the era of hubs and spokes: it'll be all change for Wiltshire's community hospitals
Radical changes are coming to Wiltshire's primary and community health care. A plan drawn up by Wiltshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and Capita (the outsourcing and management giant) for the buildings needed in northwest Wiltshire up to 2026, involves cutting two community hospitals and replacing them with other buildings and services.
Local politics is coming back to Wiltshire's NHS. Creating the very NationalHS in 1948 was a brave political decision - ever since, tinkering national politicians have sought to leave their mark on the NHS and played with its budget.
It seems we have reached the point in the NHS' continuing woes when we have to resort to the Anglo-French writer Hilaire Belloc. He wrote prolifically in the early part of the twentieth century and provides an appropriate text for today's NHS:
And always keep a-hold of Nurse
For fear of finding something worse
NHS nursing crisis: Lili is from Romania & works at GWH - but the flow of EU nurses has now dried up
Lili Baleanu is a Romanian nurse working at Great Western Hospital - one of the steeply declining number of EU nurses to arrive since the Brexit referendum.
Lili graduated as a nurse in Romania in August last year and arrived at GWH in late November. She passed the obligatory English language test (the IELTS - more of which later) and will become a fully registered nurse in a matter of days - getting her Pin number from the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC).
More Articles ...
- STP WATCH: Did anyone notice? NHS Sustainability and Transformation Plans have become Partnerships - and permanent
- “The Doctor will see you now’”…but in the future? Maybe not
- Young people want better access to mental health services in Wiltshire
- NHS funding crisis: Wiltshire's part in plan to balance Department of Health's end of year accounts
- A Wiltshire GP practice disappears as staff shortages hit NHS and social services
- A crisis in children's mental health? How is Wiltshire coping? Part Three: How Marlborough's schools respond to mental health issues
- A crisis in children's mental health? How is Wiltshire coping? Part Two: how Wiltshire is changing the system
- A crisis in children's mental health? How is Wiltshire coping? Part One: the system is changing
- Home to Assess: GWH pilots new scheme for earlier discharge to free up beds & relieve pressure on A&E
- STP WATCH: "Time for change" - full plan for future of Wiltshire's NHS to go public in three weeks
- STP WATCH: neighbouring NHS 'footprint' to save millions by cutting number of registered nurses
- The NHS in crisis: Wiltshire's health services hit by staff shortages - and we have not got to Brexit yet
- The NHS crisis: "Slow down! Diversion ahead - consultations underway"
- Great Western Hospital: as the junior doctors plan their strikes, patient safety and staff shortages still top the agenda
- In the midst of its worst financial storm the NHS is hit by a perfect media storm
- The shape of things to come? Virgin Care named as preferred bidder for Bath's community health care
- The NHS crisis: short of nurses and short of money - how will costs be reduced?
- As Jeremy Hunt stays as Health Secretary, the NHS gets a dose of reality
- Changing of the guard for Wiltshire's NHS - just as Brexit poses new problems for health services
- Charity amidst the alien corn
- The NHS crisis: controversial changes may be coming to Wiltshire's health services - sooner or later?
- The little machine that's helping doctors tell when antibiotics are NOT needed
- Great Western Hospital asks for support as its emergency department fills up again
- The NHS is being reorganised - this time quietly and without bothering our sovereign Parliament
- How a patients group has surveyed views on Marlborough's doctors and are helping the practice
- Hotkidz Clinic: pilot scheme for out of hours care of unwell children gets thumbs up
- When winter comes can pressure on the NHS be far behind - except it's now a government secret
- Will the cap fit? GWH faces up to the squeeze of recruitment versus capped agency costs
- Has the NHS' financial crisis been caused by reduced funding levels over the last five years or by policies?
- Friends of Savernake Hospital get a preview of the nearly completed Prospect Hospice outpatient centre