Marlborough's new primary school: planning application submitted
Marlborough's new primary school has moved another step forward with the application for full planning permission now registered and available on Wiltshire Council's website.
The application covers the new buildings, associated play areas and playing fields, a car park and landscaping, as well as the eventual demolition of the existing St Mary's Infant School buildings. The consultation period lasts until March 17 and the target date for a decision on the applicaiton is May 12.
Marlborough St Mary's Primary School is expected to open in fully in September 2017. The buildings have been designed for the Education Funding Agency by the architects Stride Treglown of Bristol and they will be built by Keir Construction.
The documents lodged with the application include a 'Construction Management Plan' which gives details of how the work will proceed without interfering with the everyday running of St Mary's Infant School and to give the least possible impact on neighbouring homes and traffic.
On the site, which is to the east of the existing school, stretching between it an Van Diemen's Close, two protected species were found - bats and slow-worms. The application includes mitigation plans for these creatures - ready, as it were, for on-site nature study.
There are illustrative 'photo montages to show the impact of the school from various angles - the one to the left, with the view from the bottom of Van Diemen's Close, shows the most obvious impact.
The architects will be providing further information on three issues: a 'Further Investigative Contamination' report, a Transport Statement and a written programme of Archaeological Investigation. The last item arises from the work by archaeologists on the site before previous plans for a new school were approved in 2010 - a scheme that was cancelled by the incoming government.
There is an interesting historical introduction to the 'Ground Investigation' report for the Educational Funding Agency by Jacobs UK Limited's:
"On site: Site previously used as allotment gardens and so shallow contamination/made ground may be present. A tank was formerly located on the access road to the proposed school site, believed to be associated with the boiler house."
"Off site: Historical gas works and several tanneries located approximately 200 m to the north-east. A coal yard was present approximately 250 m to the east of the site from 1943 until 1956 when it is indicated as a depot. A railway line was formerly located approximately 200 m south of the site, with a station and sidings also present. However by 1982 the railway and associated infrastructure had been dismantled."
"A large garage has been present 75 m to the north-west of the site since at least 1970. St Margaret’s Priory (12th century) was formerly located approximately
100m east of the site."
This report also states that the area is not subject to any radon levels (natural, but sometimes harmful, radiation emitted from the ground) that need protective measures. And there is a 'low risk' of finding unexploded bombs.
For the record the Planning Application Number is 16/01263/FUL.