Lockeridge’s new school buildings opened
After a few months in the old school buildings at East Kennet, children were welcomed into their newly extended school at Lockeridge on Monday (July 11.)
The school now has state of the art facilities for all eighty pupils – including a new hall for assemblies and performances.
Children at the Church of England school were given high-visibility vests for the morning walk to their new school – a preventative measure to ensure safety at a busy time for the village’s main street. Teachers and school governors were on hand to help parents.
In brilliant sunshine, head teacher Kim Spencer welcomed children and parents to the opening. A short service in the playground was conducted by the Rev’d Maria Shepherdson, Upper Kennet’s priest in charge, and the area’s archdeacon, the Venerable John Wraw, blessed the new building.
The ribbon was cut by Joy Tubbs from the diocesan education board in Salisbury –with help from one of the youngest pupils.
Since 1991 the East Kennet and Lockeridge schools have been operating on a federal basis under one head. This saved the schools from the threat of closure. But running two buildings for such a small number of pupils proved difficult to manage, and it was decided that a single site was necessary.
The old buildings at East Kennet, some of which date from 1857, will be sold by the diocese. That school was known as ‘an elementary school’ – a term that has long since faded from use.