News dot2left cropped500pxt
  • IMG 9097
  • Silbury-Sunset---10-06-08-----07
  • Marlborough-2013-04-18 St Peters
  • IMG 8472
  • Town-Hall-2011-05-03 08-

 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Dogs rescued from Pewsey house fire

Three dogs were rescued from a house in Pewsey earlier today (Tuesday) after fire broke out in the living room.

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service was called to the detached property in Bramley Close at 2.47pm, after a neighbour heard the smoke alarm sounding.

Two crews attended, from Pewsey and Marlborough, and two breathing apparatus wearers used one hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze.

An investigation concluded that the fire started accidentally, after sunlight reflected off a magnifying glass and set light to the curtains.

Station manager Mike Bagnall said: “The prompt actions of the neighbour in raising the alarm meant that crews were able to save the family pets and also prevent the fire from spreading beyond the living room. Had the smoke alarm not been working, the outcome could have been much different.”

He added: “This is the second incident in a week that I’ve attended where the fire has started because of reflected sunlight. Where you have a mirror or any other glass object, such as an ornament, that is curved, this allows the glass to act as a lens.

"When the sunlight hits it, it becomes concentrated and, if the rays are bounced onto something flammable - such as curtains or soft furnishings - then a fire can start. It does depend on the angle of the sun, but any mirror or glass ornament with a curve in it should never be left on a windowsill or by a window.”

For more advice on home fire safety, visit www.dwfire.org.uk/safety-at-home

Print Email

  • IMG 9097
  • Silbury-Sunset---10-06-08-----07
  • Marlborough-2013-04-18 St Peters
  • Town-Hall-2011-05-03 08-
  • IMG 8472