Marlborough Rugby: Poor overall performance by the visitors after a promising start

Written by Mike Banfield on .

Trowbridge 43 - 20 Marlborough

Marlborough lose after a promising start.  Marlborough travelled to Trowbridge for their third encounter of the season.

This time honours went to the home team after what ended up as a poor performance for Marlborough.  The game started well with a penalty after just 2 minutes from James Clancy and then after a loose pass was picked up by Jake Williams the ball as passed out to Russ Westcott to feed Michael SIms who sprinted down teh wing to score.  Clancy converted and the score was 10-0 after just 10 minutes.

Things looked good but then some poor tackling started to cost the visitors.  Trowbridge were getting good phases of play and uses some strong lines of running.

They scored a couple of quick converted tries to lead 14-10. Marlborough were looking to attack but were guilty of losing the ball in contact areas and not protecting the ball at key times.  This was emphasised when once again they conceded an interception try.  This has happened in the last few games and forcing of passes at wrong times.  Trowbridge intercepted and ran through and despite a great chase by Michael Sims, Trowbridge scored and converted for 21-10.  Clancy did get a penalty but a a quick tapped penalty right on half time gave Trowbridge another score and a 28-13 lead.

Trowbridge added to their lead in the 10th minute of the 2nd half with a penalty. Marlborough then seemed to wake up and started to get some good phases.

The lineout which has started to work well gave good possession and the ball was moved out to Inosi Laqekoro, he once aqain made a good hard run and broke through some tackles, the ball was moved out and scrum half Jake Williams was in support to take the pass and run in to score.  Clancy converted for 31-20. Both teams now knew it was game on. Marlborough significantly raised their tackling and Trowbridge were applying lots of pressure.

After some great defence on their own line Marlborough eventually conceded and the conversion went over for 38-20. Marlborough did push hard to try to score but again a handling error meant a pass went to ground and again Trowbridge gathered the loose ball and ran in for another interception try.

A final score of 43-20 reflected a bad day for Marlborough, good in patches of the game but not for long enough.

Next Saturday is Frome at home in the rearranged game.