Marlborough Hockey Club’s two wins and a defeat as end of season nears

Written by Tony Millett on .

Marlborough Hockey Club reports of matches in the Premier Division 3 of the Davis Wood Hockey League – which includes clubs from the west of England and south Wales:

Marlborough vs Hereford  :  Marlborough win 3-2

After last week’s disappointing result against Taunton Marlborough went in to the weekend’s two games desperate to make amends and collect a maximum six points to get themselves back in to the running for third place in the Division.
Their opponents on the Saturday (March 3) were Hereford who earlier in the season had eased to victory against Marlborough with some swift counter attacking play.  The game started as a cagey affair with Marlborough well aware of their opponents strengths but soon started bossing the game from the middle of the park with Will Seward and John Bromley dominating proceedings. 

Marlborough soon took the lead after a swift counter attack led to Rich Holman scoring with an incredibly inventive shot on the volley.  Marlborough doubled their advantage in the last play before half time after excellent improvisation play from Will Seward following the break down of a short corner routine.

The second half began with Hereford noticeably putting in higher effort levels and as a result scored two quick goals of their own leaving Marlborough shell-shocked and in complete disarray.  With fifteen minutes to go Marlborough rallied and threatened to retake the lead but were unable to do so until Man of the Match Will Seward arrived at the top of the ‘d’ and thundered his shot, with bullet like precision, into the corner of the goal.  The remainder of the game was seen out in good style with Marlborough keeping possession well and frustrating their opponents.

Marlborough vs Firebrands  : Marlborough win 4-3

Having beaten the ‘brands earlier in the season with some degree of comfort, Marlborough went into this game(March 4) full of confidence but also wary as their opponents results over the last few weeks had improved greatly.  The game started with both sides exchanging attacks and it was clear that ball pace and speed of thought would determine the winner. 

Marlborough took the lead after Rich Holman scored with a flick from close range but barely minute later Firebrands levelled after a sharp shot form a tight angle.

Matt Osbourne gave Marlborough the lead again after some mazy dribbling and calm finishing, and Osbourne increased Marlborough lead again after sweeping home from close range after the Firebrands goalkeeper had stopped Rich Holman’s slider shot.  The game was seemingly over when Anil Sud scored with a reverse stick strike to give Marlborough a 4-1 lead.

Firebrands did not give up and egged on by their numerous pitch side supporters drew a goal back from a slick short corner and then soon after scored again to make it 4-3 and leaving Marlborough with a nervous final ten minutes to see out.  Marlborough dug in and keep ‘brands at bay to cap off a terrific six point weekend leaving them tied third with a game in hand.

Marlborough vs Plymouth Marjon : Marlborough lose 1-0

With four games left in the season and tied in third place in the Division, Marlborough looked to use their game in hand on their competitors to good affect with an away fixture against Plymouth Marjon (March 10.)  With the earlier meeting in the season between the two sides ending in a bizarre 10-5 Marlborough victory the chances were that this would be another goal filled game with most clinical side likely to come out as the victors.

Neither side started the game well and there were plenty of misplaced passes and miss-traps adding to the slow start.  Chances were few and far between and it wasn’t until midway through the first half that Marlborough started to look like scoring only to be denied on several short corner routines by some solid goal keeping and defending.  Marlborough were awarded a flick after a deliberate foul in a shooting position but were unable to convert leaving the game nervously poised at 0-0 going into the second half.

The second half went much the way of the first half with neither team looking like gaining an advantage until Marjon were given a questionable flick of their own which they were able to convert. For the next twenty minutes Marlborough tried desperately to force the game but were just missing that final pass or perhaps the bit of luck that they needed.

The game finished 1-0 to Marjon who, to their credit, had applied themselves tirelessly to keep Marlborough at bay.  After a hugely disappointing result Marlborough look to their double header next weekend against Old Bristolians and Cheltenham to redeem themselves.

Find out more about Marlborough Hockey Club here.  And here for details and fixtures in the Davis Wood Hockey league.