Victory for Marlborough Ladies in quarter final cup match

Written by Alex Sawyer on .


Marlborough Ladies in action against FromeMarlborough Ladies in action against FromeMarlborough Town Ladies 7 Frome Town Ladies 2

After Marlborough's great run in the Wiltshire Cup last season, they were rearing to go for their quarter-final against Frome on Sunday. From the whistle, they came out strong and pushed into the Frome end.

It was only a few minutes into the game when some good pressure and a cross in from Kerry Ash resulted in a Frome defender messing up a clearance and creating an own goal. An easy start, but Marlborough did not let up the pressure. They were straight back in; causing havoc for the Frome defence.

It was a few minutes later that Kerry Ash had another good opportunity in which she crossed the ball into the centre for Ffion Williams to tap into the net.

Two-nil and Marlborough's confidence was growing. They passed the ball around well and maintained most of the possession. It allowed play to move from defence, through the midfield and up to the strikers for some great team play.

About 15 minutes into the game Kerry dribbled the ball beyond the keeper to find an open goal. She placed an easy ball into the back of the net for a 3-0 lead.

The first half allowed many chances throughout the team. Chloe Buller made a great run from defence and took a long range shot which was just wide of the goal. Everyone on the team was getting involved in the play. Before the half another two goals were scored; a great shot from Emily Sparkes as well as a well-placed header from Kirsty Miles.

Five-nil at half time was a great effort. Marlborough came out from the changing rooms eager for more.
Ffion gained possession in midfield and played a quick pass to Alex Sawyer who placed a through ball for Kirsty to run onto. She dribbled down the pitch and placed it perfectly behind the goalie for her second of the game.
Marlborough were playing well but a lack in concentration allowed Frome to take a short corner which resulted in a good goal.

Marlborough dusted themselves off and went again.

Twenty minutes later Ffion made an amazing run through the Frome defence and placed a calm ball into the back of the net.

Towards the end of the game, Frome managed to get another goal from a penalty kick but the end result was 7-2. Marlborough had dominated play and maintained composure through most of the game. It was a great team result and secured them a well-earned place in the semi-final of the cup.