Match report: Lavington & Easterton United v Marlborough Town Ladies FC

Written by Emma Brown on .

Sunday 10 September

Lavington & Easterton United 0;   Marlborough Town Ladies FC  10 (Ten)


Marlborough's game against Lavington was played at Dauntsey School on a wet and bleak Sunday afternoon.

Marlborough started the game with pace which resulted in a goal in the seventh minute, a long range shot from Ffion Williams.

Ffion picked the ball up about 20 yards outside the Lavington box, hitting a blinder to tuck it in to the bottom right corner just out of reach of the sprawling Lavington keeper.

Kerry Ash continued the early scoring 13 minutes in to the game when the ball was played in to her on the left wing.  Kerry went on one of her direct runs in to the box and fired off a powerful shot across the goal leaving the keeper no chance of getting a hand on it.

Aimee Rayner continued the assaults from the wings making a similar run from the right wing and in to the Lavington box just a minute later.  Her shot on goal was caught by the strong cross wind on a pitch very open to the elements causing the ball to glance off the cross bar.  So close to goal number three.

Ffion Williams picked the ball up again just outside the Lavington box with 22 minutes gone.  This time she ghosted in to the box with a direct run past the defenders and in on goal.  The keeper rushed out towards her to try and cut off her run but Ffion remained composed and took it round the keeper to score goal number three for Marlborough.

Marlborough continued to put pressure on Lavington with Ffion Williams picking up the ball in the centre of the pitch.  She was quick to see an opening in the defence and played a cutting ball through the Lavington defenders.  The pace of Midfielder, Alex Simmonds split the defence and allowed her to get on the end of the pass and calmly tuck the ball in to the net to put Marlborough on the score sheet again with 31 minutes gone.

Four-nil at the end of the first half but there were a number of other good chances on the Lavington goal in the first half that were not converted.

Marlborough's defence remained strong and committed in the first half with Marlborough captain Alana Turner at the heart of the defence showing really good management, keeping the Lavington attack out and allowing the wide defenders to push forward.

Marlborough goal keeper Shannon Rolfe was not called in to action during the first half.

The second half started with early goals, although the play from the Marlborough players seemed to be a little more rushed.  This resulted in Marlborough having to scrap for the ball a lot more than in the first half.

Within a minute of the second half starting, Ffion Williams was set up for a hat track with some good passing and interplay around the Lavington goal and a simple tuck in from close range.

Four minutes later, a moment of good passing play continued again putting the Lavington goal in danger.  Lavington were unable to hold their defence on the edge of the box enabling Kirsty Miles to breaking free and lift the ball over the keeper who had come off her line for Marlborough's sixth goal of the game.

This was followed up just a minute later when Lucy Bush produced some strong hold up play on the edge of the Lavington box which she followed up with a pass tucked through to Kirsty Miles who lofted the ball over the Lavington keeper in a carbon copy of the goal she had just scored.

Lucy Bush continued to show some deft footwork by teasing the ball past several defenders in the Lavington box before taking a skimming shot on goal.  The shot didn't quite have the legs to get over the line but Kirsty Miles hunted the ball down to toe poke it in from two yards for her second half hat trick.

38 minutes in to the second half saw a scramble in the Lavington box with the defenders trying desperately not to leak any further goals.  The scramble resulted in a penalty which Lucy Bush stepped up to convert.  Calm in the face of pressure she scored a well deserved goal from the penalty spot by slamming the ball just off centre in to the roof of the net.

Marlborough continued to press the attacking play, but throughout the second half Lavington worked tirelessly to try and get in to the game.  Their enthusiasm resulted in their forwards making several attacks on the Marlborough defence who had become a little less organised in the second half due to Alana Turner being substituted in to goal.

Marlborough didn't let up on the attack on the Lavington goal however. Some good, quick passing continued down the right wing between Kerry Ash, Mollie Ash and Emily Sparkes resulting in Kerry making one of her classic runs into the box and slotting another goal past the keeper just before the final whistle.

Credit should be given to the Lavington players who continued to enjoy their football despite the score line and played with spirit and smiles.

Marlborough not only came away with a 10-0 win and another clean sheet, but they also came away with knowledge of where the team need to tighten up for harder, more evenly matched games.  They must surely feel a confidence in front of goal with 15 goals in two games.

Well done to Mollie Ash for getting man of the match.