Hockey: goals galore as Marlborough lose at home to Gloucester

Written by Anil Sud.

Marlborough vs Gloucester City                Marlborough lose 8-5

After back to back wins had galvanised their season, Marlborough welcomed Gloucester who were one place above them in the current league standings and out of the relegation zone.  The game began at breakneck speed with both sides having chances to score within the first couple of minutes, a clear omen for what was to come.

Marlborough opened the scoring after a Chris Jones drag flick found the net following a short corner routine.  With the lead established Marlborough looked to settle the game down but Gloucester had other ideas.

They equalised barely a minute later and then scoring a further two quick fire goals to lead 3-1 with the game only ten minutes old.  The frenetic nature of the game did not stop there as Marlborough pulled a goal back after some sharp play down the right wing by Matt Ashton which led to striker Will Hughes finishing from close range.

The scoreline 3-2 became 4-2 as another lightning fast Gloucester break away restored their two goal advantage.  Not to be discouraged, Marlborough hit back with a goal of their own via skipper Richard Holman and shortly after levelled the playing field with Matt Osbourne finishing a flowing move once again created down the right hand side.   

The first half ended 4-4 with several players on both sides somewhat bewildered at the number of goals and the frantic action.

The second half started at a much slower pace with both teams happier to let the ball do the work with quick, snappy passing mainly in the midfield areas.  With little happening in the first fifteen minutes of the second half, a slight lapse in concentration by Marlborough allowed Gloucester to re-take the lead at 5-4.

Desperate for their earlier efforts not to be in vain Marlborough reasserted themselves and were soon piling forward in numbers which led to a penalty flick being awarded in their favour which was despatched by Anil Sud.  

With the game once again level one could have been forgiven for thinking that with ten minutes left to play, the scoring might have been finished for the day. However the Gloucester forwards again broke free and with two more goals left Marlborough in dire straits with little time remaining.  

Marlborough pressed as hard as they could but were unable to convert any further chances before Gloucester closed out the game with their eighth goal leaving the final score 8-5.

A bizarre, frenetic game with both sides wondering what on earth is in store for the return fixture after Christmas.