Marlborough Hockey Club - ladies win one and lose one - the men were a man down

Written by Kitty Cleaver, Ella Ford, James Lane on .

Wimborne  1   Marlborough    0  :  but a solid performance from Marlborough Ladies first team  

Kitty Cleaver reports:  On Saturday, December 1, the MHC Ladies Firsts travelled to Wimborne determined to do their best against the Wimborne Wayfarers in a middle of the league clash.

A motivational team talk from Captain Emily Carter-Davies ensured the ladies were focused and ready to demonstrate the skilled and measured hockey they have been working hard on since September.

Despite having only 11 players, the team used this to their advantage by concentrating on making the ball do the work. Wimborne pressurised the defence early on, pressing the ball into Marlborough’s defensive half. However, strong and low tackles from Beth Palfrey and Emily C-D fought off the attack, only conceding one goal to Wimborne in the first half.

As play progressed, Marlborough showcased their ability to pass with control and accuracy, going from Amy Davidson and Annabel Ashley in midfield up to Milly Dawson and Grace Berry on the forward line. 

The centre midfield proved to be a successful defensive and attacking unit, with Catherine Manley, Kitty Cleaver, Jess Davis and Fiona Bailie forming an effective diamond offence.

On the attack, Marlborough made seamless passes into the Wimborne defence. Clean hits in from the side-lines from Annabel and Amy gave an opportunity for Marlborough to score but unfortunately, the conversion didn’t happen. Excellent forward play from Jess Davis and Milly Dawson resulted in some tense moments along the goal line, but the Wimborne goalie was at the ready.

Although the final score was 0-1 to Wimborne, the team left the pitch feeling proud of their efforts and excited for the season to continue in the New Year, particularly after game full of fantastic teamwork and communication from all players. Player of the Match was Annabel Ashley who controlled the right-hand side of the pitch and was solid in defence.

Decisive win by Marlborough HC Ladies 3s over Corsham 3s 

Ella Ford reports:  On Saturday,  December 1 the Marlborough Ladies 3rd team arrived on pitch, ready to play their best and win. 

It was clear from the start that Corsham had stong players and it wouldn’t be an easy game. However our ladies were determined to succeed. The attackers including Rosie Prentice, Elsie Slater and Bea Spence backed up by twins, Imogen and Ellie Sanderson supporting on the wings, were able to get into the “D” regularly with their skill and pace. Despite many shots on at the goal, the team was unable to convert.

Halfway through the first half, Debs Lee had the ball at the top of the “D” and with a clean strike went right into the bottom right hand corner of the goal. Unfortunately, with Evie Williams playing for the Ladies 2nd team, we didn’t have our usual defensive row.

However, with Micah Gregory stepping back into defence, there were strong tackles from her and Shahla Davidson and Jodie White. At the end of the first half Corsham succeeded in scoring a goal. 

The second half saw a much more aggressive game play out, with many long and short corners. Debs Lee scored another, putting Marlborough in the lead. A Corsham foot was called and a short corner was given. The ball came to Ella Ford who hit it straight at the goal, going past all the defenders and keeper and hitting the backboard. 

As soon as this goal was scored, Bea Spence had the next goal, touched in from the post. It was clear that there was no stopping the Marlborough Ladies 3s as no more goals were scored by Corsham by the time the end of the game whistle was blown. Player of the Match was Ella Ford. 

Marlborough Men's Second XI give City of Bath a good run but lose 2-6

James Lane reports that despite being a player down, the Men's 2s played strongly: 

Marlborough played this game with only ten players due to last minute promotions to higher teams and family emergencies. The game started well and was quite evenly balanced for the first 10 minutes or so. 

City of Bath got their first goal with a well worked piece of play which just beat Luc Renwick in goal. Their second goal followed quite quickly as the effects of being a player down started to show on the Marlborough team. 

Just when the team needed a morale boost, Chris Newton played a solid cross ball through to Harry Strover who pulled off a great dummy (which may or may not have been deliberate) before lifting the ball over the keeper for a goal. Marlborough were now back in the game and, sensing this, City of Bath swiftly pushed forward and scored two goals to end the half 4-1 up. 

After a much needed rest and short prep talk at half time, we started the second half by conceding a 5th goal. Shortly after this Chris Newton mirrored Harry's earlier effort by casually flicking the ball into the net over the top of the prone City of Bath keeper from outside the left post. 

There followed a persistent and forceful series of attacks against the Marlborough defence and midfield with some excellent efforts keeping the ball out of the net, most notably Tim Horton stopping a huge strike from a short corner just inside the right post. City of Bath managed a late goal to make the final score 6-2. 

An excellent effort from the ten players on the day.