News dot2left cropped500pxt
  • Silbury-Sunset---10-06-08-----07
  • IMG 9097
  • Town-Hall-2011-05-03 08-
  • IMG 8472
  • Marlborough-2013-04-18 St Peters


This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Marlborough triumph over the conditions and opposition away at Minety

Minety 0 - 48 Marlborough

Marlborough maintained there lead at the top of Dorset & Wilts North 1 with a win away at Minety on Saturday.  

The pitch was extremely muddy and there were areas of the pitch that it was very difficult to move through, let alone play rugby.  Both teams did really well to deal with the conditions.

The visitors played down the slope in the first half and scored 4 very similar tries with possession from rucks in the bottom left corner being passed out along the line for tries on the right hand side.  Tom Regan created one with a good pass for his fellow winger George Heard to score.  Centre Avenai Cakaunitavuki then set up Regan to score.  Cakaunitavuki got the next one and the fourth was scored by Jack Lynd.  Nathan Morgan kicked 2 of the conversions for a 24-0 half time score.

The second half saw Marlborough trying to get the game away from the muddiest areas of the pitch,  but the conditions and slope always meant this was difficult.  

Some sustained pressure in the top half of the pitch, led to a kick over by outside half and captain Amori Nailago to set up centre Waisale Navunidakua to catch, beat the defence and run in to score.  Morgan got the conversion.  He then got the next try after some good passing by the backs to put him in and out pace the defence.  Flanker Joe Mitchell was next to score after a break down the middle of the pitch.  

Navunidakua scored the last try with another good break after some more good passing in the backs.  

Morgan added the extras on the final whistle for a 48-0 score.


Print Email

Powerful performance by Marlborough away in local derby at Calne

On another bitterly cold Saturday afternoon Marlborough kept up their winning run.

A 65-16 win away to Calne was achieved despite a lack lustre first half.  Initially the game started well for the visitors with pressure on the Calne full back resulting in a loose ball that was kicked through by flanker Joe Mitchell, he controlled the ball again and pounced on it to score the opening try.  

Calne soon responded with a penalty.  The pattern of away try and home penalty was then repeated twice as number 8 Nick Clarke twice used his strength and power to score tries.  With one of out of three conversations, the score was 17-9.  The final try of the half was after a break by the backs led to a good dummy and run by Russell Westcott to score his first try of the afternoon.

The second half again saw Calne able to use their big forwards and the visitors unable to get a regular grip of the game.  Twenty minutes passed before there was any scoring.  The tries then started to flow with second row Jack Lynd setting up Nathan Morgan to run through and score.  Westcott, who ran good lines all afternoon, completed his hat trick with the next 2 tries.

 Centre Amori Nailago set up Morgan who again ran through and fed returning winger Liam Macdonald to score.  Avenai Cakaunitavuki got in on the scoring and so did George Heard.  To the credit of the home team they scored a try of their own before Jonny Mantle completed the scoring in the final minute with a good try after a quick penalty was taken by scrum half Myles Richards.  Morgan added 5 conversions for the final score of 65-16.

The Alfred's Nomads had a walkover win as Minety 2s were unable to field a team.

Again please note that all new players are welcome to Marlborough RFC as we try to plan for next season.


Print Email

Another cricket score for Marlborough this time away at Cricklade

On a bitterly cold day, Marlborough won again in their push for promotion back to Southern Counties.  The side fielded two sets of brothers with the Jack and Josh Lynd in the second row and Aiden and RJ Horwood at flanker and wing respectively.

TScrum Half Stu Williamson who scored his first try for the clubScrum Half Stu Williamson who scored his first try for the clubhe away side got straight into their scoring and ran in four quick tries within the first ten minutes.  The first try came from a good passing move by the backs and a great break by Avenai Cakaunitavuki, this set up Russ Westcott to score under the posts.  Nathan Morgan scored the next try with a good step to score from 40 yards out.  

Injury to RJ Horwood meant Joe Mitchell went onto the wing and he scored the next try after a decisive break by Jonny Mantle.  Caka was then next to score followed by further tries from Josh Lynd, Mantle, scrum half Stu Williamson, Westcott again and Reece Kinnett.  That was 9 tries and 6 conversion by Morgan for a 57-0 half time score.

In the second half, Westcott completed his hat trick, as did Mantle.  The pick of Mantle's tries being a perfectly judged cross field kick by Westcott that was caught in the air by Mantle for him to then run in and score.  

Jack Lynd got on the score sheet also to match his brother and Caka got a second.  There was a total of 14 tries and 10 conversions.  Credit does have to go to a Cricklade side who did not stop running and tackling.  They gave their all in what was a one sided game.

Jack Lynd passing from a ruck watched by Reece KinnettJack Lynd passing from a ruck watched by Reece KinnettThe Alfred's Nomads were unable to field and complete side and played a friendly against Combe Down 2nds.

As Marlborough look towards next season, we welcome all players to come along and join us in the Southern Counties.


Print Email

Revenge for Marlborough with an important away win against top rivals

Combe Down 3 - 17 Marlborough

Marlborough won a very competitive, top of the table clash with Combe Down to put themselves top of the table at Christmas.  It was a bitterly cold afternoon with a strong wind across the pitch.  Both sides started with determination and tying to control the game.  The away team were getting on top in the scrums but the home team were better to the break downs.  The stalemate was eventually broken when Marlborough outside half Russell Westcott made a sharp break, he passed out to right wing Laurence Baker who made 15 metres before a good inside pass to Jack Lynd who powered over the line.  Baker missed the conversion.  The tight game continued with Marlborough having the better of the territory, with some penalty infringements meaning Nathan Morgan could pin the hosts in their own 25.  From one of these penalties, a good line out take by captain Jonny Mantle was driven forward and coach Chris Budgen went over for the try.  This time Morgan missed the conversion.  A penalty in front of the posts was also missed by Baker to leave the half time score 10 - 0 to the visitors.

The second half saw Combe Down score first with a penalty.  The home team had raised their game and were looking threatening.  There was a good battle in the centre of midfield with Jack Wright and Avenai Cakaunitavuki making some powerful breaks but also having to defend well against 2 quick Combe Down centres.  The visitors pack was dominate at the scrums with number 8 Nick Clarke controlling the ball well and using his strength with some good breaks.  Added to this scrum half Amori Nailago was having a man of the match performance and always getting his backs going forward.  Eventually the pressure of the scrums told and after another powerful scrum and good control by Clarke the referee was left with no choice but to give a penalty try, converted by Morgan. This made the score 17-3 which was to remain the final score.

Marlborough and Pewsey combined 2nds, the Alfreds Nomads had a good win with a 42-5 score against Calne 2nds.

The senior teams now have a 2 week break on no game until 10th January.  Training will be on 30th, 31st December and 3rd January over the festive period.


Print Email

Another convincing away win for Marlborough against Fairford

Fairford 12 - 55 Marlborough

Another convincing win for Marlborough, but also more yellow cards.

The game started really well for the away team with a catch, set up and then some good passing.  This led to a good break by prop Paul Roberts.  Once again the ball was moved out and Joe Mitchell powered in to score. Full back Nathan Morgan kick the conversion for an early 7-0 lead.  

The next score came after a great win at a ruck by Mitchell, that led to centre Amori Nailago, in his first start of the season, making a break to score under the posts.  Morgan converting.

The powerful rucking was winning Marlborough good ball, this time Adam Whatley forcing the home side to hold on at the ruck.  Scrum half Liam Macdonald  took a quick penalty to feed Laurence Baker to break down his wing.  The ball was then spun out and Nailago made another break and with a stylish Fijian inside flick pass inside for Jamie Cresswell to score.  Conversion again by Morgan for 21-0.  To the credit of the home side  they didn't stop and scored a good try of their own with some good passing and working an overlap for 21-5 score.

Marlborough's ill-discipline then surfaced with first Tom Fleming for a push after reacting to a trip and then centre Waisale Navunidakua for a tackle without using his arms, both getting sin binned.  The team do need to learn to cut this out.

Although making it difficult for themselves and down to 13 men, the team didn't concede. Fleming returned just before the end of the half and in fact the away side added to their points after a quick throw in by Baker set up Mitchell again.  He was stopped just short of the line, but Cresswell followed in, picked and up and drove in to score.   Half time 26 - 5

The second half saw an early try again with Number 8 and captain Alex Roper picking up at the base of a ruck to run in and score for a 31-5 lead.  The next score came just 5 minutes later with more pressure at a ruck and a good charge down by Jonny Mantle, back in the back row for the second half.  Mantle then followed in and as the ball bounced over the try line he dived on it to score.  The next try came after some good passing including a pass through the legs from Mitchell that set up Navunidakua to score.  Outside half Russ Westcott then go in on the scoring with a strong run to go past 2 players and score under the posts.  Westcott also converted his try.

Again the home side were still battling and won the ball in the Marlborough half and broke down the line, an off the ball tackle resulted in a penalty try and what could have been a 3rd yellow card.

The final score of the game came after the Fijian centres once again combined so that Navunidakua went on a superb line to burst through and score.  Westcott added the final conversion for a 55-12 win.


Print Email

Marlborough knocked out of D&W Cup by Swindon College Old Boys


Marlborough RFC were knocked out of the D&W Cup by Swindon College old boys on a very wet and slippery afternoon.

The game didn't start the best for Marlborough as they were under pressure from the opposite numbers from 1-15.  Although Marlborough put the first points on the board through Nathan Morgan's penalty, that was to be Marlborough's only points on the day.

Too many times Marlborough were guilty of being offside and infringing around the ruck area, and SCOB capitalised on those opportunities by spreading it wide and giving it to their very pacy winger.

Unavailability hit Marlborough hard this week with no less than 8 key players out due to being unavailable.

To their credit SCOB were better in defence, first up tackles and quicker to capitalise on opportunities.  This allowed them to play in your face rugby and get underneath Marlborough’s skin and get the better of the squad.

Final score - Swindon College Old Boys 15,  Marlborough RFC 3


Print Email

  • 1
  • 2
  • Silbury-Sunset---10-06-08-----07
  • Marlborough-2013-04-18 St Peters
  • IMG 8472
  • IMG 9097
  • Town-Hall-2011-05-03 08-