News dot2left cropped500pxt
  • Town-Hall-2011-05-03 08-
  • Silbury-Sunset---10-06-08-----07
  • IMG 8472
  • IMG 9097
  • Marlborough-2013-04-18 St Peters


This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Marlborough Rugby: Away win at Walcot ensures best ever top six finish in Southern Counties South

Another trade mark charge by Jack Lynd watched by Sam Gouldbourn and Jamie LaingAnother trade mark charge by Jack Lynd watched by Sam Gouldbourn and Jamie LaingWalcot 12 - 24 Marlborough

Marlborough confirmed their best ever finish in the Southern Counties South and a top 6 minimum finish with their 8th win in 9 games after an away win at Walcot.

The home team had taken an early 7 point lead with a converted try and the only response from the visitors in the first half was a penalty from centre Jamie Laing.  Half time score was 7-3 to Walcot.

Amori Nailago enjoying himself backed up by Jamie LaingAmori Nailago enjoying himself backed up by Jamie LaingThe second half saw another brilliant display from outside half Amori Nailago to score 2 great tries with a mix of side steps and dummy passes.  There was also a great performance at full back by Pita Robanakadavu who again scored with a great piece of finishing.  All 3 tries were converted by Laing who had a great kicking day.  

Will McWilliam breaking supported by debutant Hugo Beanland and Will TurnerWill McWilliam breaking supported by debutant Hugo Beanland and Will TurnerAs usual all the hard work was done up front and prop Lotu Ngungutau was exceptional in the scrums, with some great line breaks and also all around the pitch.  Jack Lynd as always carried superbly and Jamie Pittams was in commanding form in the line out.  

A particular mention also goes to the Nomads players who stepped up for the game : Myles Richards, Will McWilliam, Ryan Lanfear and making his first team debut Hugo Beanland.

Week off next week before the last home game of the season on 16th April


Print Email

Marlborough Rugby: Return to winning ways with emphatic win over Dorchester

Marlborough 45 - 12 Dorchester

Marlborough returned to winning ways with a 6 try victory on a bitterly cold day on the Common. The early phases of the game saw both sides trying to get used to a strong cross wind and constant rain.  After only 5 minutes the home team's outside half was harshly red carded for retaliating after a late tackle.

This meant changes in the backs and Russ Westcott moving to outside half.  The away team kicked the penalty to within 5 metres of the Marlborough line.  They drove from the lineout to score an unconverted try.  Marlborough knew they would need to move the big Dorchester pack around to make up for the numerical disadvantage.  From a clearance kick Garth Bari caught the ball on his own 10m line and ran straight at the Dorchester team.  He went through and no one could touch him as he ran in to score.  Jamie Laing converting.  Bari scored again after 23 minutes with another good run and beat his opponent after a great pass from Leo Tuliva.  Laing again converting.  The Marlborough pack were starting to get an advantage at the set piece with front row Chris Budgen, Darius Hamilton and returning prop Feilaki Ngungutau.  The advantage meant a penalty was awarded, Laing taking the points for a half time score of 17-5.

Although a man down the home team had the second half slope advantage and despite the conditions the backs were moving the ball well.  One such move saw the ball moved out wide and number 8 Jamie Pittams ran in and dived over to score.  Laing again converting.  The away team had not given up and scored again with another driving maul, the try was converted for a 24-12 scoreline.

Another change was made and the welcome return of Avenai Cakaunitavuki after a broken ankle.  The weather was deteriorating now and the cold was having an affect on the backs. This did not stop the Marlborough set piece that was now well on top.  After a series of scrum time penalties the referee was left with no choice but to award Marlborough with a penalty try.  Bari converted.  The next score came for Bari to complete his hat trick after a great pass by Westcott to put him into space. Bari converted his own try.  From the kick off Josh Lynd caught the ball and stormed up field, the ball was recycled and passed out, flanker Hugo O'Neill was on the end of some slick passing to score the team's 6th try.  Laing converting for a final score of 45-12.

Next week the team are away to Bradford on Avon.



Print Email

Marlborough Rugby: Narrow victory over well-organised Sherborne team

Marlborough 20 - 19 Sherborne

Marlborough continued their recent good run with a win over a strong and well organised Sherborne side.  

Due to the recent bad weather the game was played on the second team pitch but started well for the home team with an early try for returning second row player Jack Lynd.  The try was converted by full back Nathan Morgan. Sherborne were soon back in the game with a try and conversion of their own.  

The early scoring was then followed by some tight play where neither side were really able to get an upper hand.  The Sherborne pack was well drilled around the pitch but the Marlborough set piece was on top due to some great work by Darius Hamilton, Jon Berry and Warren Ross-Allen.  

Captain Jamie Pittams, who led the team well all day, was dominate in the line out.  While the also returning Hugo O'Neill had a great game at openside flanker.

Sherborne scored the next try of the game and took a 12-7 lead.  Just before half time Morgan added a penalty for a 10-12 half time score.

Morgan added another penalty early in the second half for a 13-12 lead.  The home team then got a crucial score after some great work by Gerald Naruhn had once again set Leo Tuliva off on a run.  Tuliva scored the try and Morgan added the extras for a 20-12 lead.  Sherborne did get a slightly controversial try but the home team were able to hand on and get a good 20-19 league win.

Next week Marlborough have the long trip to Dorset Dockers.

The Alfreds Nomads game was called off due to Devizes' pitch.  Next week the Nomads are at home to Minety 2s

Print Email

Marlborough Rugby: Victory over Walcot - third successive league win

Marlborough 32 - 19 Walcot

Marlborough recorded their third successive league win with a 32 - 19 victory over Walcot.   The home side took an early lead with a try by prop Richard Travaskis.  

The second try came from Will Grant mid way through the half which was converted by Jamie Laing.  Walcot did fight back to score a converted try before the half was finished with second row Sam Gouldbourn scoring a try which Laing converted.

Gouldbourn gave another man of the match performance with some great work around the pitch added to his lineout play.

In the second half the Marlborough backs especially Amori Nailago, James Farrell and Laing played some great rugby and were able to dominate the closing stages of the game.   

Flanker Will Turner who played the game on the wing was put in by Myles Richards for a try and Gouldbourn added another try at the end to secure the bonus points win.  Congratulations to Ryan Lanfear who made his first team debut.

Marlborough travel to North Dorset next weekend in a repeat of the recent cup final


Print Email

Marlborough Rugby: MRFC triumph at home over feisty Wimborne and the strong winds

Marlborough 22 - 15 Wimborne

Marlborough edged another tight encounter with a home win over Wimborne on a very windy day on the common.

The early phases saw the home team on top and using the windy conditions full back Nathan Morgan sent over a penalty.  This was followed by a good line out win by Sam Gouldbourn to secure the ball and set up a driving maul.  The ball found its way to Chris Budgen who directed his forwards on a 15 meter drive, before he dived over.  Morgan narrowly missed the conversion. Marlborough had an 8-0 lead after 10 minutes.

Wimborne fought back and were next to score after some good passing.  This made it 8-5.  The only other score of the half came from Leo Tuliva after some good midfield passing and a through the legs pass from Budgen.  Tuliva gathered the ball in his own half, ran outside 2 tackles before cutting inside another to score a great try. Morgan converted for a 15-5 half time score.

Wimborne had the slope for the second half and were immediate on the front foot. Pinning Marlborough deep in their half.  They scored 2 tries and the game was even.  The home team with some determined encouragement again stepped up their game.  The scrum was on top and repeatedly winning penalties. A pick up by Tuliva led to the ball reaching centre Jamie Laing who showed good footwork for the game winning try. Morgan added the extras for a 22-15 win.

Beanland Bros - Hugo, Bertie and BenBeanland Bros - Hugo, Bertie and BenThe Alfred's Nomads were unfortunate to lose 28-33 to Supermarine after a last minute try.  One feature of the game was the Beanland family having 3 brothers in the front row.  Hugo, Bertie and Ben playing together for the first time for a true family moment.



Print Email

Marlborough Rugby: Excellent result away at a bitterly cold Frome

Frome 17 - 20 Marlborough

On a bitterly cold day in Frome and with a strong wind that influenced many passing moves, Marlborough fought back to win the game in the last few minutes.  Frome who had some powerful runners in their side, played to this strength and used their runners against the strong wind coming down the pitch.  One break away led to a Frome try in the 14th minute that was converted for an early 7-0 lead.  The visitors tried to create chances of their own and had a number of good moves but final passes and silly penalties meant they were unable to score.  One great break by Jamie Liang deserved a score as did a penetrating run by flanker Will Turner.  Full back Nathan Morgan did kick a penalty from the half way line to make the half time score 7-3 to the home team.

Although the visitors tried to step up their game after the interval, it was Frome who scored the next try and took a 12-3.  Marlborough scored next with some good phases of possession that got them to within striking distance before captain Will Grant dived over from a ruck to close the scores.  Morgan added the extras.

Once again the powerful running of the Frome side along with some defensive error  led to another Frome score after they picked up a kick through to score in the right hand corner.  The conversion was missed and the score was 17-10 to the home team.

The Marlborough team who wanted a win before their Cup Final next week, finally started to apply some pressure.  Amori Nailago took hold of the game and made some great line breaks.  

His centres Avenai Cakaunitavuki and Laing were always with him and thye were making big territorial gains.  From one break out they put in Pita Robanakadavu who ran in to score.  Shortly afterwards Pita was unlucky to not score again when he chased his own kick into the corner and was just judged not to get the touch down.  With time running out and the Frome side battling hard.  Marlborough got some decent phases of possession.  

Another great break by Nailago set up Pita to score his second try and make the score 20-17.  Morgan missed a difficult conversion.

The visitors managed to keep out the Frome side was some determined defending to finish off the win.

Next Saturday Marlborough look forward to the 1st XV Cup final at Salisbury RFC to played against North Dorset.

Coach to leave the club at 11:15.  The Nomads game is postponed so all players can support the team.  Also any supporters wishing to join the coach should meet at the clubhouse at 10:30.


Print Email

Marlborough Rugby: Heads held high in narrow cup final defeat

Side step and another superb display from Amori NailagoSide step and another superb display from Amori NailagoMarlborough 16 - 17 North Dorset

Marlborough narrowly lost the 1st XV Cup final on Saturday against North Dorset after dramatically missing a penalty in the last minute.  North Dorset had taken an early lead from a catch and drive at a lineout.  A tight game was then altered by the sending off of Marlborough prop and head Coach, Chris Budgen after an intervention by the linesman.  The harsh decision certainly affected the Marlborough set piece but is to the credit of the whole team to play 60 minutes with an influential player off the pitch.

Avenai Cakaunitavuki taking on his opponentAvenai Cakaunitavuki taking on his opponentThe only other score of the first half was a penalty by full back Nathan Morgan.  The kick right on half time made the half time score 5 -3 to the Dorset side.

The second half remained tight.  Marlborough scored next after some great work by centre Jamie Laing to set up Pita Robanakadavu.  The winger has shown some great finishing this season and did so again to put the Wiltshire side in front witrh Morgan getting the extras for a 10-5 lead. 

The Dorset side then answered with a try of their own to once again take the lead and a scoreline of 12-10.  The Wiltshire side stepped up their game and once again outside half Amori Nailago really started to get his side going.  Nailago was getting great support from his centres Laing and Avenai Cakaunitavuki.  The midfield trio playing some superb rugby.  The side were pushing for the next score and on one attack where it looked like they were about to score, a pass from Morgan was intercepted and North Dorset ran in for an unconverted try. 

Breaking through is James FarrellBreaking through is James FarrellThis made the score 17-10.  The Marlborough pack had been determined throughout the day and playing with one less player too,  the performance of number 8 Lario Tuliva deserves huge praise in getting the team and in particular the midfield some decent ball to work with.  The work rate of the team was earning them penalties and Morgan kicked two to once again bring the scores close at 17-16.  In the last minute of the game Morgan had a kick to win it and agonisingly the wind affected kick just missed.

Congratulations go to North Dorset on their cup win and every success as they progress into the next rounds of the national competition.  As for Marlborough they can take huge confidence in the spirit and determination of the side.  The team have huge potential and some very exciting players.  Next week the club hosts 2 games at home followed by the players Christmas meal.


Print Email

Marlborough Rugby: Double header victory against locals rivals Devizes

Marlborough 10 - 3 Devizes

On a wet and miserable day on the Common, Marlborough beat local rivals Devizes to gain their first win of the season in a double header - a semi final in the Dorset & Wilts 1st XV Cup and Southern Counties South league match.  Marlborough were without club coach and prop Chris Budgen and also James Farrell so Richard Trevaskis and Will Grant stepped up to fill their boots.  Both having great games.

Captain Jonny Mantle led his team out with light raining falling that just got worst as the game went on.  This made for challenging conditions for both sides with a slippy ball and the ground underfoot not favorable. For most of the match the defences were on top and although both sides tried to run the ball the tacklers were always doing a great job.  Hugo O'Neill was very influential at the breakdown and not allowing Devizes any quick ball.  Quote of the day came from Jon Berry who said "I've never tackled so much in my life !"

Marlborough played up the slope in the first half and they did well to hold out Devizes.  The conditions meant that outside half Moree Nailago was making good use of a kicking game and pinning Devizes back in their half.  Devizes had chances to score but the home defence held strong and was also helped by some crucial knock ons.  The visitors did miss a penalty attempt at the end of the half but the first half ended 0-0.

Marlborough knew where they wanted to play the second half and to keep the pressure on with Nailago kicking for territory and also for his centres and wings to run onto.  Unfortunately, O'Neill was sin binned for a breakdown offence and Devizes tried to take advantage of their numerical advantage. Once again the home defence stepped up and started to get an advantage in the scrum.  Trevaskis grew into the game and got better as the game went on,  Sam Gouldbourn playing in the second row was also having an outstanding game.

When O'Neill came back on it was the visitors who started to concede penalties.  Marlborough missed 4 long range penalties but then came the game's crucial score.  Another kick through by Nailago bounced right for Nakeleto Nadakeke who dived over to score.  Full back Brad Cannon kicked the conversion.

Devizes responded with penalty after the restart to make the score 7-3.  This was closely followed by another penalty to Marlborough and a 10-3 score.  As the weather got worse the defences seemed to get better.  Marlborough knew how much the win would mean and Devizes were determined to fight back.  They pushed hard in the final minutes and got deep into the home team's half.  From a penalty lineout, a not straight throw relieved the pressure and then at the resulting scrum the home team were delighted to kick the ball out and win the game.

This was a hard fought win against the team who were the league leaders.  It also means a cup final against North Dorset on November 28th.  The team can now push forward from this having played 5 of the top 6 sides and gain a huge amount of confidence.

Next week is a week off for all sides due to the World Cup final so training will be on Tuesday and then a deserved rest on Thursday. Sat 7th November is Dorchester away.

Print Email

  • IMG 9097
  • IMG 8472
  • Silbury-Sunset---10-06-08-----07
  • Town-Hall-2011-05-03 08-
  • Marlborough-2013-04-18 St Peters