Marlborough Rugby: Marlborough storm back to comprehensive win after slow start

Written by Mike Banfield on .

Marlborough 47 - 12 Combe Down

After some heavy rain and an early pitch inspection the game kicked off in sunshine.

Combe Down scored first after 10 mins after some poor defence by the home team, the conversion was missed.

The home team's response came quickly when at a penalty, scrum half Jake Williams took a quick tap and ran in to score while the away team were still organising themselves, full back Garth Bari converted.  Marlborough this time were guilty of their own defensive disorganisation and on 30 mins Combe Down scored a converted try, although at this time they only had 13 men on the pitch.  A couple of yellow cards and one for a reaction to some nasty off field comments.

As the first half drew to a close, player/joint coach Leo Tuliva scored a good individual try under the posts, again Bari converted.  Then on the last play before half time Semisi Rasivo, who made a number of good breaks from the back of the scrums, broke a couple of tackles and scored in the corner, the conversion was missed. Half time 19-12.

The 2nd half and the home team had organised themselves better, Tuliva's defence was leading the way, the needless mistakes stopped and soon the gaps opened up.  The front row of Gareth Smith, Epeli Kotobalavu and Lemeki Moala, who all had great games, were rewarded for their efforts when after 45 mins prop Gareth Smith was put into space on the 22 and scored in the corner, Bari converted.

A recent feature of the team's play has been the line out work, jumpers Jamie Pittams and Sam Gouldbourn winning some great ball from the throwing in of Kotobalavu.  Again the reward came when after 50mins second row Jamie Pittams found himself on the wing and finished off a really nice backs move, Bari converted again.  On 60 mins joint coach Lotu Ngungutau, who had come on as a 2nd half replacement, picked up from the base of a ruck and drove over, again Bari converted.

Then 12 minutes later Ngungutau repeated the score with a very similar try, Bari was off injured so James Clancy converted.

Final score 47-12.