George Heard a member of the promotion winning Marlborough II’s team was announced recently as an ambassador for Bath Rugby’s new initiative ‘All Sorts All Sports’ where those who have won against adversity get to tell their story on a national platform.
Two seasons ago, George nearly paid the ultimate price for the sport he loves and is passionate about. He had received a hard tackle in a friendly game against Rosalyn Park, but didn’t think much about it. The following week when the seconds were away to Frome he collapsed on the field. He was rushed to hospital, underwent numerous x-rays but it wasn't until an MRI scan showed the problem - a massive amount of internal bleeding. A critical life-threatening condition requiring immediate surgery.
The operation was a success and after spending w while in hispital he managed to make a full recovery and a year to the day was back on the pitch playing for Marlborough after having to learn to walk again. Every day he had visitors from the Club, the RFU and Bath legend, Freddie Burns, spent a couple hours with George. Freddie listened to George’s story as well as talking about his own injuries and how rugby and their love for the game would get them through – with help from the medical teams, their teammates and most of all their loved ones.
Jack Wright, the of the son current Marlborough Rugby Club President David Wright, and former mini/junior player has now signed for the Welsh side, after deciding to follow his Welsh family roots (much to pleasure of his dad) and join Newport RFC.
Marlborough Youth Football Club success and growth has led to the clairman, Stuart Slater caling for more volunteers.
Marlborough Youth Football Club have just announced the two winners of their 'Player of The Year' votes. Reggie Price, who was in last year's U6 squad was voted 'Player of The Year' in the Public vote, whilst Georgia Galley, a member of the MYFC Angels U12 Foxes team won the Club vote.
On Thursday last week (25 July) Finn Mulvey (14) and Jennifer Almond (15) won the Marlborough Junior Open at Marlborough Golf Club against strong competition from players representing many other clubs.
Marlborough Youth Football Club have managed to arrange the installation of a second public access defibrillator, this time at the Marlborough Bowls Club with help from Tesco, courtesy of their 'Blue Token' scheme and the Bowls Club.
Elisi Vunipola, Marlborough Rugby Club's first team coach arrived back in his homeland, Tonga for a well-earned end of season break but had two other special reasons to be there. One was to be at his nephew's wedding - Billy Vunipola, England and Saracens No8 is going back home to marry his partner, but the other was to hand out the 50Kg of Marlborough Rugby playing kit flown over to the island for Tonga's many talented young rugby players.
Marlborough Town Ladies - ex and current - raise more than £1,200 for Macmillan at a charity match fundraiserMarlborough Town Ladies recently (5 May) staged a match where the Veterans team took on the current Ladies team to raise funds for Macmillan Cancer Support which generated £1,207 for the Marlborough branch of Macmillan.
More Articles ...
- A unique summer of world-class cricket starts this week with the World Cup - can England win it?
- Marlborough Rugby: Success in Sevens as Compeed 7s win second leg of Secure Trading Super Sevens Series
- Burbage & Easton Royal Cricket Club welcome their overseas player - Johnny Riekert
- Marlborough Youth Football Club bids farewell to longest service Coach, Geordie Foster
- Foxes see Lionesses close up at Swindon's County Ground
- Marlborough Rugby: Resounding victory over local rivals Swindon to close a very successful season at the new higher level
- Marlborough Rugby: Seconds make history by being the first second team to gain promotion to D & W North 1
- Marlborough Rugby: Colts complete a successful weekend for Marlborough Rugby Club with victory in the Dorset & Wiltshire Colts Plate final
- Marlborough Rugby Club Summer Ball steps up to new large venue with Rick Parfitt Jnr's RPJ headlining
- A first league championship for Marlborough Youth Football Club U14s
- Marlborough Rugby: Resounding victory for Marlborough at local rivals Royal Wootton Bassett
- Marlborough U13s Rugby: U13s complete weekend club double over Royal Wootton Bassett with a deserved victory to secure the Dorset and Wilts Plate
- Rugby playing kids in Tonga will now grow up in Marlborough kit
- Marlborough Rugby: Resilient Marlborough too strong for Oxford Harlequins in tough battle on The Common
- Marlborough Rugby: Old Centralians again prove too much for Marlborough
- CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL PREVIEW: the great draw in Ogbourne Maizey is the well fancied hurdler Paisley Park
- Hockey: Marlborough men find revenge is sweet - & hard work. While the ladies pile up goals - for & against
- Marlborough Youth Football Club get 'Bags of Help' equipment for the Youth Centre courtesy of Tesco and the Town Council
- Marlborough Rugby: Skill, grit and togetherness see Marlborough against unbeaten Newbury on The Common
- Oscar putts in the effort to win Marlborough Golf Club’s Junior of the Year award
- Marlborough Rugby: Narrow victory for Marlborough on The Common as visitors miss last minute drop goal
- Hockey: Mighty Marlborough’s wonderful win - Ladies first team's 4-2 victory over Weymouth
- Marlborough Rugby: Under-strength side edged out by resilient Beaconsfield
- Hockey: Entering 2019 in style - Marlborough mens' victory over top of the league side Swansea
- Marlborough Rugby: Marlborough edge a thrilling encounter away at Banbury
- Marlborough Rugby: Strong start to the New Year at home against Wimborne
- Marlborough Rugby: Convincing victory over Stratford on The Common
- Pewsey Tennis Club wins top 2018 award as best club in Wiltshire
- Hockey: Marlborough Ladies second team continue to 'show face' - despite tough opposition
- Marlborough Hockey Club - ladies win one and lose one - the men were a man down
- Marlborough Rugby: Back on track with an entertaining victory over Salisbury
- Marlborough Rugby: Marlborough bought down to earth by top Wootton Bassett side
- Pudsey given a bit of help for Children in Need by a group of Angels in Pyjamas
- Marlborough Rugby: Narrow and tough victory over Oxford Quins puts Marlborough back into winning ways
- Marlborough Rugby: Last Gasp Old Centralians Try Steals the Points from Marlborough
- Marlborough Rugby: Blues for Marlborough at Newbury as winning run comes to a valiant end
- Marlborough Rugby: Seven out of seven away at Witney
- Marlborough Rugby: this time local rivals Chippenham to make it six out of six
- Marlborough Rugby: Marlborough II run in eight tries against local rivals Devizes II
- Marlborough Rugby: Ruthless Marlborough II steamroller Cricklade with impressive away performance
- Marlborough Rugby: Fine start to season for U12s with a convincing victory over Minety
- Marlborough Rugby: Five out of Five with impressive away victory at Beaconsfield
- Marlborough Youth Football Club and Marlborough Town FC launch a Defibrillator at their Elcot Lane ground
- Marlborough Tennis serve up a new 'Business 200 Club' to fund tennis in the community
- Marlborough Rugby: Marlborough's perfect start continues with victory over Banbury and the weather
- Hockey: Gold medal player Laura Unsworth's visit to inspire Marlborough Hockey Club's teeming teams of juniors
- Marlborough Rugby: Nomads sweep Corsham 2nds aside with a thirteen try performance
- Marlborough Rugby: Three out of three for impressive Marlborough away at Wimborne
- Marlborough Rugby: Nomads trounce Melksham 2nds in one-sided encounter
- Marlborough Rugby: Resounding victory against fellow promoted side