Marlborough Rugby: Final whistle couldn't come quickly enough as Marlborough hang on for victory over Beaconsfield

Written by Leila Nairne on .

Jack Lynd high in the skyJack Lynd high in the sky

 Marlborough 29  -  22 Beaconsfield


On Saturday, Marlborough were at home to Beaconsfield, who were buoyant after their win against Chippenham the previous week and were looking to put Marlborough on their list as one of the teams they have scalped this season.

Marlborough had a great start with a well worked try after only two minutes courtesy of Nado Cakau who broke through two tackles to set up a ruck in Beaconsfield 22.  The ball went along the Marlborough backline for Jimmy Adams to score in the corner, but Will Grant missed the conversion, 5-0. 

Marlborough was dominating the game, leading to another try ten minutes later with some great phases of play where Jimmy Adams scored his second try, but again Will missed the conversion, the score was now 10-0.

Two minutes later, and Marlborough scored again after winning the re start; another tackle breaking run from Nado Cakau with an off load to Callum Hunt who beat two players to score under the posts, this time Will Grant got the ball over the posts, 17-0.

From having had a period of complete dominance, Marlborough then started to completely unravel.  A dropped restart gave Beaconsfield an attacking platform and following some poor defending by Marlborough’s back line, the visitors scored but were unable to convert the try, 17-5.

Marlborough then went onto concede a soft offside penalty straight in front of the posts which Beaconsfield were not going to miss and so the penalty was converted.  Marlborough again were left napping when they let in another exceptionally soft try just before half time.  The halftime score was Marlborough 17 - Beaconsfield 15.

Whatever was said during the break must have stuck with the players as Marlborough started the second half with a little more vigour with Nado Cakau scoring after a strong carry, but sadly Will Grant missed the conversion, 22-15.

Marlborough managed to stutter their way through to the sixty fifth minute without conceding anymore tries, then Jimmy Adams scored a nice individual try to complete his hat trick for the day with Grant converting the try, 29-15.

Eight minutes from full time, Marlborough gifted Beaconsfield with another try after four missed tackles by the home side, the visitors converted the try. Marlborough managed to hang on until full time to keep the win, 29-22.

Marlborough are away to local rivals Chippenham next Saturday who will gladly punish them for any mistake they make, there can be no doubt about that.  This will be first time that Marlborough will have played on Chippenham’s new AGP surface.  Marlborough will need to take their ‘A’ game with them for the whole eighty minutes or else they may well leave Allington Fields very disappointed.


Callum Hunt on track for his tryCallum Hunt on track for his tryJimmy Adams going for his first tryJimmy Adams going for his first try